LotR Collection: Rivendell Blend
Curious about my Middle-Earth Oils? Here's a bit more about the Rivendell blend, which is part of the LotR Collection!
RIVENDELL: a wet, chilled forest clinging to the last remnants of declining summer
- Orange Essence [Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Fruit Extract] - fresh, fruity
- Black Spruce [Picea mariana] - green, piney
- Cypress [Cupressus sempervirens] - green, piney
- Rhododendron [Rhododendron anthopogon] - fresh, floral
- Blood Orange [Citrus sinensis] - fresh, fruity
- Lavender [Lavandula augustifolia] - herbal, floral
- Peppermint [Mentha x piperita] - minty, cooling
- Clary Sage [Salvia sclarea] - fresh, floral
The scent of Rivendell is one I took a great deal of time to tinker with! I wanted it to call up an image of a forest surrounded by waterfalls. The Hidden Vale needed pine notes, of course, but I wanted there to be a couple therapeutic notes that would be present when Frodo wakes up in the healing ward.
Top Notes: Blood Orange, Orange Essence, and Rhododendron. Blood Orange is a deeper citrus scent while Orange Essence smells like freshly squeezed orange juice. Rhododendron is a delicate floral, soft and fresh. Mixed together, these three add a lovely timeless quality I wanted to capture from the Last Homely House.
Middle Notes: Peppermint, Lavender, Black Spruce, and Cypress. Both Peppermint and Lavender were added to the mix to conjure the healing vibes of Elrond. Black Spruce and Cypress are both trees that love wet, lowland soil, making them a perfect fit for the landscape of Imladris.
Base Note: Clary Sage. This fresh floral roots the blend to the earth, adding a nutty, herbaceous undertone. Therapeutically, it's also used to smooth over emotional upheaval, especially when emotions are high due to physical distress. Any healer like Elrond would have plenty of this growing around their recovery rooms.